Sunday, December 6, 2009

Let's inspire ourselves


When I think about what makes America the greatest country in history, I think about our ability to dream and the ability to make that dream come alive. That is what makes America so great. Every American has the chance to pave a path and create a legacy in the American capitalistic system. I feel that we, as Americans are no longer taking advantage of this opportunity. Instead, we are so focused on finding a way to take advantage of our government and collect our unemployment check or other benefits. I do understand that many people are in need of these benefits the government offer, but many people are abusing the system. Many of the unemployed are being hired but only wanting a few hours a week so they can collect extended unemployment. It is time that we start dreaming again, and wanting to create a name for ourselves. It time to start inspiring ourselves to make that legacy and become successful. I feel that status quo is the cool thing anymore. What happen to someone wanting to be the best? The government cannot do anything to help the American people if we do not help ourselves and start having that vision for success again.
My Encounter
On Saturday night as I was getting out of my car, a man started approaching me quickly. I really didn’t know what the man was going to do but as I stepped out of the car he said, “hey, can I have two dollars for a bus ride.” Being the person that I am, I was instantly interested how this you man, no older than 25 became homeless with nothing. As I started to learn a little about him, he explained how he just got out of jail for forgery and all he wanted was a new beginning. I am always curious about how homeless are trying to change their lives. I asked him what he was going to do to get off the street, “ I applied at taco bell, then I am going to get a paycheck, then I am going to get my own place, then I am going to move on with my life.” This guy had a vision for his new life. I have never been one to give money to homeless; I cannot explain why I just never have been. As I was walking away, I gave him one dollar knowing that he needed two. I explained to him that I wanted him to go earn that second dollar by sharing his vision with someone else and someone would be happy to give him that second dollar. I really hope he got that second dollar, but more so I really hope this person can live up to his vision. It is stories like this that make me thankful for what I have and inspire me to be my best all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment